Thursday, June 14, 2012

Alphabet placemats

Here is a Christmas gift I made for my BIL's family:



It's a rainbow set of placemats. Each one has a family member's initial on it in black and white prints.


The only fabric used more than once is the fork, spoon, and knife print used on the sides.


The letters were made using Tula Pink's Modern Alphabet pattern.


I don't usually need quilt patterns, but alphabet patterns strike me as a good deal - 26 patterns in one!


I had some issues with bleeding with some of the blacker black and whites. So I will be prewashing such prints from now on.


I also had shrinkage issues with the cotton batting. Any future placemats will be made with preshrunk batting.


Each one has a different backing print. I really love that big flower one in the middle.


This was my first time doing all-machine binding. It looks good from the front, but I don't care for the back that much. I don't want to do this on a blanket. For placemats, it's fine, though. Hand binding placemats seems a bit silly. It was certainly faster this way.

No comments: