Monday, September 14, 2009

Major Accomplishment

A little background...
I learned how to knit last November. To keep things simple, we could choose a hat or a scarf as a first project. Now, scarves I do not need. I have plenty and I live in California. I wouldn't give anyone else a scarf either, because everyone has enough scarves. Hats, however, are useful. I decided I would make A Hat.

As it turns out, knitting can be somewhat subtle. I have started over on The Hat no less than 6 times, possibly more. In multiple colors. I think I have it now. We shall see. I have tried regular needles (don't want to deal with that join when the time comes), circular needles (too long), and arrived at five (not 4, tried that) double-ended needles (sometimes annoying, but they get it done).
And here is my "progress" along with my failed attempts, and my needle collection:


Enough background, what is this major accomplishment? Well, I set aside the human sized Hat a few days ago, and made this:


I used a free pattern for an American Girl hat, and changed it a little. Now, it ain't perfect, but it's done! Also, I didn't go buy yarn for it! When I tie quilts, I don't use all that much yarn, so I always have nearly a whole ball left over. Now, this yarn isn't good for tying, but for knitting, it does ok!

So there you have it, I have knitted something, world!

2 comments:

K Marie Peikert said...

I like it!

Jo said...

Thanks for teaching me, Karen.
Oh, and I unraveled and restarted The Hat again last night. I thought having 2 extra stitches cast on wouldn't be noticable, but they were. :-( I cast on again, but didn't have enough yarn in my tail. So I had to put it away before I hurt someone or something.