Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Little Envelope Book

I have been interested in bookmaking for a while. I have read many web pages on the subject. However, all the discussion on glue always put me off. I have had bad luck with some collages on using the right glue and it's very frustrating. So I have been looking for a completely glue-free binding method. Of course there is Coptic Binding, but I kind of want a spine on a book. Fortunately, I found Secret Belgian Binding. Then I happened to purchase some fusing web that mentioned on the package that it could be used to bond fabric to paper. Which would be useful to, say, cover illustrator board with fabric for a book cover. It all sort of came together then.


I had found some little envelopes at school that were pretty cool. They were the same height as the ATC variety pack I had gotten, though narrower. I ironed some fabric onto the illustration board ATCs and cut a spine from a third. I used paper strips to attach pairs of envelopes so they would be bindable. Then I sewed it all up!

Here is a close-up of the spine:


The inside cover:


One of the pages:

It was pretty easy with a very nice result.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so cute!!!!!!!! now-what are you going to do with it?? great idea for the fused web attachement!!

Jo said...

Thanks!
I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with it! Want it? LOL

K Marie Peikert said...

I like it!

Jo said...

Thanks, Karen!

LEOma said...

Have you tried blue painter's tape instead of masking tape?

LEOma said...

you did a beautiful job. I like your take on this book form.

Jo said...

Thanks!
I am not sure what you mean about the masking tape - I didn't use any on this project...